Go Back   Wutai Nights > General > Tech Talk

Keyboard forces weird shortcuts on individual keys
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #1
Truth

Default Keyboard forces weird shortcuts on individual keys

Help. My keyboard started suddenly doing weird things. the right arrow and enter keys pastes in the ] symbol, and the up arrows and enter paste in \, backspace seems to enter in an equal sign first, so it basically does nothing. I don't know what caused all this BS.

I noticed it started when I was trying to rename a zipped folder I downloaded several hours prior. Did I accidentally activate something and not know how to turn it off? I left the computer alone for like, an hour to cook and clean, and there was no problem before that, but the issue was there when I came back.

I very nearly made my computer unusable by restarting. Windows 8.1's BS forced password enter screen nearly screwed me over because the enter key now enters in something else before executing.

I'm running a scan now, but I am doubtful that it will turn up anything. Any ideas?

Edit: Using a USB keyboard seems to cause no issues, so it might be a problem on my laptop's keyboard.

Last edited by Truth; 11-26-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

Double check the keyboard layout, it sounds like that may have been changed. To do this on Windows 7 you go to control panel, devices and printers and right click your keyboard and select Region and Language and select Change Keyboards. Not sure about W8 as I avoided that one like the plague it is.

I don't think it's a physical issue though as I would expect to see keys not working in that case whereas here they work but are substituted.

Let me know how you get on!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Truth

Malware scan got nothing.

Keyboard Layout
English - US QWERTY
Japanese language Pack - Microsoft IME

I don't think it's either of the layouts. I already had issues with some keys on the other side of the keyboard not working, but I assumed that was a separate issue. The e, 3, and 4 keys, all struggle to work. I've gotten used to pasting in e, and using numpad for 3 and 4 when I need to. The new issues can't be handled reasonably, though, so I'm using a USB keyboard now, which works fine, no issues whatsoever.

I'll be exploring a few more options, but it does seem to me that the physical keyboard is the issue. It's been a while since the 3 keys on the left side of the keyboard started giving me issues, but I never expected the other side to dump on me like this.

Edit: Curiously, I don't seem to be able to switch between the layouts via keyboard shortcut anymore. I think the only way I can do it now is by manually switching which one is the default.

Last edited by Truth; 11-26-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

Hmm, try using a Linux live CD and see if it works on there. If it doesn't then it's a physical issue, if it does then Windows is the issue.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Truth

I spent like, half a hour using tweezers to pull junk out from under the keys, because compressed air failed to do anything. Did nothing at first, but after waking up in the morning a few hours later, the new weirdness is gone. I've never actually cleaned the keyboard out before because it's so hard to do for laptops. At least, I think it's hard.

Note: the few keys on the left side still don't work.

Doing a live cd thing seems a bit complicated, but it's something like using a virtual OS, right? I'm not sure I have the memory for that, but more importantly, I don't want to use something like that without really knowing how to get myself out of it. I think I'd rather go through all my other options before trying that.

Last edited by Truth; 11-26-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

Nah, all you do is burn linux to a disk and then with the disk in the drive and PC set to boot from disk, turn it on. It'll give you the option to run from the disk which works as a sort of test environment. It's a lot easier than it sounds and to get out of it all you do is take the disk out and restart the PC. Doesn't affect anything.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #7
Truth

OK, that sounds far easier than I thought. Gonna have to see if I can dig up any CDs out of storage. Not sure we even have any. That said, since the problem has sorted itself out for the moment, even if I do try that, that won't tell me anything about what the issue may have been.