Go Back   Wutai Nights > General > Tech Talk

How to get the right Mouse/Touchpad Driver?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Truth

Default How to get the right Mouse/Touchpad Driver?

A while back, I got a laptop for free via voucher from a government thing, but it did not come with the right touchpad driver installed. The touchpad works, but I cannot change any of it's settings. This is a problem, because I cannot disable tap-to-click, which pretty much cuts my typing speed by 30% or so. I may have to bring this laptop in for a job thing I have going on soon, so I would like to get this settled beforehand if possible.

What I want to know is: How to find out what driver I am supposed to be using, and if it's complicated, how to acquire said driver. I tried looking online for a solution first, but from what i was looking at, it all seemed very complicated and time consuming.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

What make/model is the laptop? The model number will be on the underside of the laptop. Once I know that and the OS you're running I can look around for you.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Truth

It's a Dell laptop. Model is...... PP13S... I think. Latitude e4300 might be what you're actually after. This thing got refurbished, it looks like more than once, so some of the labels on the bottom are simply incorrect, and some other parts are faded. Windows 10.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

Drivers only go up to Vista for it. http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/...-e4300/drivers

Go to the Mouse/Keyboard/Input option and go for the touchpad ones. You can try that one, might work but no promises.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Truth

Only 1 touchpad driver in the list. I tried it and..... IT WORKS!!!!! Oh, Ro you're a miracle worker. Thanks a ton! That is going to save me sooooooo much stress from using that laptop.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

No worries, it's all just about knowing what to Google and which ones to look for out of the pile of resulting shit. Tech support in a nutshell really...

Old 07-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Truth

Yeah, I must have not known what keywords to use in search before. The results of what I tried told me to dig through the registry editor to find some sort of code, which I would then put into a search for a certain site, and then looking through a narrowed down list of drivers and more or less try all the ones that looked like they would work. I didn't do that because it seemed like it would take 30+ hours to do. Clearly not the best solution.

Last edited by Truth; 07-08-2017 at 04:51 AM.