Go Back   Wutai Nights > General > Tech Talk

Websites don't recognize me anymore?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:08 AM   #1
Truth

Default Websites don't recognize me anymore?

A few weeks back, after either restarting my computer, or closing my browser, chrome (not sure which), everything online for me has seemed to have determined that I am using a different computer or browser, causing all my login stuffs to have to be done over again.

Having to login to everything again is annoying, but bearable. More importantly, I want to know what this thing with websites suddenly not recognizing me is caused by, so I can limit any potential issues. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't do anything notable at the time to cause such a thing from my end, that I'm aware of.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
IcyFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
A few weeks back, after either restarting my computer, or closing my browser, chrome (not sure which), everything online for me has seemed to have determined that I am using a different computer or browser, causing all my login stuffs to have to be done over again.

Having to login to everything again is annoying, but bearable. More importantly, I want to know what this thing with websites suddenly not recognizing me is caused by, so I can limit any potential issues. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't do anything notable at the time to cause such a thing from my end, that I'm aware of.
This can happen with something as simple as resetting your router. I wouldn't worry about it, just means the id the device is recognised by on the internet has changed. also auto logins are usually determined by cookies, so if you nuked those at all recently that would mean you would have to log in again.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Truth

I clear the cache occasionally, but I after learning what cookies are for years ago, I never get rid of them since.

We did get a new router to use in addition to the modem/router combo we already had, but that came in after the issue had already been present for at least 2 weeks.

We do somewhat regularly have to reset the modem/router combo, because every once in a while (once every few months?), it decides that our connection is only going to be limited, instead of full internet connection, and resetting usually fixes that.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
OneRandomOtaku
Administrator

Yeah, websites recognise you based on cookies, some sites have these expire after a given time but some will just last until they get wiped. Some browser updates can wipe them though so that could be it.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
Truth

Ok. As long as the cause isn't something that could create more problems down the road, all is good.