Go Back   Wutai Nights > Gaming > Platforms

Next gen
Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
Barrebaron

Default Next gen

So when do you guys think it will be next gen next time they decide that now already outdated hardware will be replaced?*
Will it take another 7 years?

RE:
Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Truth

Default RE:

I'm thinking 8 years, since they're all being so damn slow on releasing quality games, that they are going to insist that they need to squeeze some more life out of the current gen consoles. Also, I thought it was 6 year intervals up until now for each gen of gaming consoles?

Barrebaron, you need to retitle this thread. It is showing up as a blank on the recent posts thingy. I can't click on a title to come here via the recent posts. Removing the arrows in the title should make it work, I'd assume.

RE: Next gen
Old 08-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Lostsoulofahero

Default RE: Next gen

the ps2 lasted until 2013 before it was officially discontinued so I assume the ps3 will go on for a while. the newest gen was supposed to start next year but sony and ms jump started it wich led to the problem they have now lolI would be happy if the ps4/xone gen kept going for 8-10 years.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Truth

Wait, the PS2 was still going on until 2013?
O.O

Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
IcyFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth
Wait, the PS2 was still going on until 2013?
O.O
Yup it only got discontinued recently. Console generations typically last between 8-12 years roughly. Just look at ps1 game boy gameboy advance.and.the psp as well. They all had extremely long lifespans.

W with that said the "next gen" a also seems to typically take around 5 years or more to develop.... So basically half the current gems life.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Avyles

Console gaming is alright. But I will always prefer PC gaming. We PC gamer's are getting a nice treat from Hideo Kojima. Because both of the new Metal Gear games are coming to the PC. FUCK YES!!!

But, yeah. Each console generation lasts for a while, even in to the new console cycles like Icy stated. At to tell the truth, now I'm pretty sure about what I'm going to state here. The next gen console cycle will start sooner than this current one with the PS4 and whatnot. It won't be another 7 years. Count on that. Maybe in the next 3 to 5 years, we will see the next gen consoles announced.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
IcyFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyles pid=12430 dateline=1408006568
Console gaming is alright. But I will always prefer PC gaming. We PC gamer's are getting a nice treat from Hideo Kojima. Because both of the new Metal Gear games are coming to the PC. FUCK YES!!!

But, yeah. Each console generation lasts for a while, even in to the new console cycles like Icy stated. At to tell the truth, now I'm pretty sure about what I'm going to state here. The next gen console cycle will start sooner than this current one with the PS4 and whatnot. It won't be another 7 years. Count on that. Maybe in the next 3 to 5 years, we will see the next gen consoles announced.
Very Very unlikely with the VR race started.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Avyles

I don't know Icy. I read something from Sony stating that people won't have to wait as long this time around. Not sure about Microsoft.

But either way. I'm not all that concerned about. I've got my PC.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
IcyFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyles pid=12433 dateline=1408008304
I don't know Icy. I read something from Sony stating that people won't have to wait as long this time around. Not sure about Microsoft.

But either way. I'm not all that concerned about. I've got my PC.
I have everything.... except Wii and Shitbox

Old 08-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
ichihaifu

Next gen is most likely further away than it has been ever before. 7 years is probably too short of a time because computer hardware is at the point where developing it to be more powerful than it is requires quite hefty architechtural changes. (Right now the biggest limiter is die size, which is why the development right now is focusing on smaller die sizes)