Go Back   Wutai Nights > General > Serious discussions & Debates

PirateBay servers raided
Old 12-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Legendfluff

Default PirateBay servers raided

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/pirate-bay-raided-taken-down/

Quote:
The popular file-sharing service Pirate Bay was taken down today following a raid in Sweden by police who seized servers and computers.

The Pirate Bay portal went down Tuesday morning after Swedish police raided a server room in Stockholm over alleged copyright violations. In addition to its file-sharing section, Pirate Bay’s forum Suprbay.org was also down.

Today’s raid comes after some of the movie files stolen from Sony Pictures Entertainment in its recent hack became available for download through links at Pirate Bay.
Welp, I'm glad I haven't actually done anything there in a few months

http://www.cnet.com/news/pirate-bay-offline-in-wake-of-police-raid/

RE: PirateBay servers raided
Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
Blobby

Default RE: PirateBay servers raided

Good thing I got banned from PB years ago.. luls

Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Avyles

You got banned Blob? hahaha, I find that so hilarious.

I used PB maybe, hm, two weeks ago? I moved on to other sites though since then...

Anyone know of some good Torrent sites?

Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Blobby

Like.. the first time I ever used the site... says "Access Denied" on every torrent I tried (had a friend dl the SAME link and it worked for him)

Then after a while I was just blocked.. lol

Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Tsukuyomi

I'm not suprised. The founders of PB were put to trial for copyright infringment and got hughe fines and jail. I don't remember how it ended, but it was such a farce *because of the sentences. For those of you who understand Swedish, here's a video I remembered that adress this shit. At one point it's said (ruffly translated) "you can either rape and kill a small school class or upload a torrent of a mediocre Swedish police movie" to depict how crazy that whole thing was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dkiKjew4RE&index=39&list=UUxuhDApssJjq1u5 fyxYsmpg

Old 12-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
Truth

Bah. As much as I would like to say these attempts to silence pirating sites of any kind are futile, they will have some affect.
It's been some time since I last went to PB. A few weeks, or maybe a few months. Can't quite remember. I'd like to know if there are other decent sites than PB, too.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Eversmann122

kickass isnt bad

Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
Edzer

Sad news for the freedom of the iwebs. :<

Old 12-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
IcyFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzer
Sad news for the freedom of the iwebs. :<
because you know, servers have never been raided before as a result of a gross breach of the law in multiple countries.

This has very little to do with the freedom of the interweb, and a lot more to do with a continuing strife between Hollywood corporates and the general consumer for easily available content at a REASONABLE price.

Their are 3 reasons people pirated. Only 2 of which have any recognisable warrant for doing so.

the first reason, I suspect edzer falls into this, is those who desire everything for free as if it is their right and that they shouldn't pay for anything.

The second reason, other people on this forum fall more into here than the first reason, is the belief that the cost of content is far too high.

The last reason, and I would fall into this one more so than the others, Is that simply some desired content is inaccessible due to an unwillingness by the provider (and sometimes for other reasons) to provide said content. In this last case, corporates have less of a leg to stand on because they never intended to sell me the content in the first place, and thus aren't losing anything by me obtaining said content.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyFlame
Their are 3 reasons people pirated. Only 2 of which have any recognisable warrant for doing so.

the first reason, I suspect edzer falls into this, is those who desire everything for free as if it is their right and that they shouldn't pay for anything.

The second reason, other people on this forum fall more into here than the first reason, is the belief that the cost of content is far too high.

The last reason, and I would fall into this one more so than the others, Is that simply some desired content is inaccessible due to an unwillingness by the provider (and sometimes for other reasons) to provide said content. In this last case, corporates have less of a leg to stand on because they never intended to sell me the content in the first place, and thus aren't losing anything by me obtaining said content.
Reason #4
Because one may want to purchase a product, but does not currently have the money to do so, and pirate until they have the money to purchase said product. The cost of the product is reasonable in most cases.

Reason #5
The product in question does not have a trailer, demo, or other form of advertisement that lets the consumers better understand if they will like said product. In regards to games, some will treat pirating as a demo, and may purchase the product after they have tried it out, and know that they will enjoy it. Sometimes the enjoyment of a game can only be experienced through playing it; watching LP's or trailers may not be enough to convey how enjoyable it is.

I fall under 4 and 5 most of the time. 4 far more often than 5. I have a list of games I want to buy, that I have pirated, once I have the money for it.